October 9th, 2012
Letters to the Girls
Dearest Gracie,
You are in the
bassinet, falling asleep, sucking a chubby fist and arm and watching your
shadows. I'm sneaking peeks at your face in the shadows. It's always the color
of moonlight in here at your bedtime. I love your tiny face perfectly chiseled
like porcelain and snowy white. Tiny eyes now, heavy half moons, big and bright
and blue in the morning. Sometimes you fall asleep nursing and I love that too.
You surrender to sleep with your head thrown back and a half-smile of milky
satisfaction.
You squeal at
your toys in the morning. You recognize our routine. You are landing everyday a
little more earthling. You are a
peaceful soul, a free-wheelin' little
baby. Your sister loves you. She thinks you're the bee's knees; the cat’s meow.
She checks your diapers, pats your head, and kisses you. (To the point that I'm
sure you'll put a stop to it as soon as you are able).
I steal my
moments alone with you wherever I can though so I can get to know you as
intimately as I can in our little life. It seemed like such a struggle in those
first few weeks to feel like I could give you and your sister enough. We have
found our groove. A constant balance of
needs, wants, and moments. We are abundant in love and patience with one
another. That isn't to say that we don't still have our challenges, we do. But
mostly we have each other, heart to heart and hand in hand. And now you have
grumbled out of your swaddle so I will rescue you and hope you fall asleep
smiled up in my arms with milk on your fantastically chubby little cheeks.
Dearest Hailey,
My best friend. I know we are for you declare it every day. Usually on our walk, hand in hand. You swing our arms and you start to skip. Often you sign "friends" with your interlocking pointer fingers tapping and you sing a song about being best friends, Mommy and Hailey. And I treasure that because I know someday you'll likely sing a different tune. At least, possibly, some daughters sometimes do. But in the meantime, I'll take it. And I’m proud to be your best friend because you chirping that little song fills my heart with more love than it can hold.
My best friend. I know we are for you declare it every day. Usually on our walk, hand in hand. You swing our arms and you start to skip. Often you sign "friends" with your interlocking pointer fingers tapping and you sing a song about being best friends, Mommy and Hailey. And I treasure that because I know someday you'll likely sing a different tune. At least, possibly, some daughters sometimes do. But in the meantime, I'll take it. And I’m proud to be your best friend because you chirping that little song fills my heart with more love than it can hold.
You are going to
make so many friends in your life and they will all be so lucky to have you. I
have never known a funnier, more generous, smart, creative child, Hailey, than
you. You have a deep rooted desire to find fun and adventure. You giggle with
reckless abandon and chase butterflies. You draw beautiful pictures, and you play
hard. These are all the qualities a good girl friend needs. Only 3 years old
and you possess everything you need. I love you moon pie, with every ounce of
me. I love you. I am so glad the forces have brought us together and you will
always be my dearest best friend, my darling daughter, the very living air I
breathe
No comments:
Post a Comment