"heart to heart and hand in hand"

Tuesday, May 7, 2013


Eleven Weeks

 

October 23rd, 2012
 
                                                 Little Gracie Pumpernickel
 

     Little Gracie Pumpernickel. It is the eve of your eleventh week birthday. I was so anxious that night they induced me I couldn’t wait to meet you and know you and have you safe in my arms. Your big sister sat in my bed and held my hands until it was time for the sitter to come. My three year old doula daughter, none finer.

     I remember the night you were born perfectly clear. I didn't have much sleep those first days so I had a lot of time to stare at you and soak you in. Your warm little baby breath, the smell of your skin and hair, your big round eyes staring so alert for someone so new.

     That first night alone together in the hospital we watched a storm roll in. We turned out the lights and pulled the curtains back and watched a monsoon roll up over the mountains across the desert floor and blow the mesquite trees and palo verdes. We watched the shadows of branches and glow from the clouds bright as the lightning shot bolts through the sky.

     You were born on the hottest day of the year, one hundred and sixteen degrees. It was our first night together watching shadows. Our only night alone, our secret storm just you and me.

     We meet often in these quiet places since. The hustle and bustle of the day and your easy going ways make it so you’re always in on the action. I savor my moments alone with you when we steal them away and you flash me that brilliant toothless smile. Your daddy calls it a "knowing" smile. Your eyes pour love and I know you know you are loved right back.

     I overheard your sister singing to you "kissing you is the way I say 'I love you baby". She told me the other day she couldn't sleep "because your chubby cheeks were keeping she awake being so cute and wanting she to kiss them". You are showered in kisses and crumbs by that one. She loves you as much as another human could love anything. You are so lucky to have she. And we are so lucky to have you. Happy 11 Week Birthday.

No comments:

Post a Comment