August 28th, 2012
Bumble Bee
The hormones are
kicking in, the adrenaline is wearing off, the sleep deprivation has taken
hold, and I’m on my bed crying in the dark.
Then suddenly, in the midst of all my feeling sorry for myself, it hits
me like a ton of bricks. I SHOULD BE ENJOYING THIS. No, seriously, I SHOULD! Gracie is sleeping on me and Hailey is sleeping
snuggled close and I'm crying my eyes out.
And then suddenly,
I’m home. Grounded in the peace that is babies slumbering. Totally present in the moment. Aware. Aware that I'll only have them like this for
such a short time. My whole life I'll look back at this time and I won't
remember the aches or the time outs or the tired. I'll look back and I’ll just remember these
precious souls snuggled in my arms, so tiny and fragile and innocent. It seems
like forever and it's only a tiny little glimpse.
Gracie's head is
soaking wet from my tears. Her hair is nothing more than fuzz. It reminds me of the fuzzy on a bumble bee.
And it smells so good. I remember when Hailey quit sleeping on my chest. It
will happen to Grace too. I wondered at
the time, “Will it ever end?” It does. I
will sleep again without a slumbering bundle rising and falling against my
chest, our breaths in unison. I will probably cry again then, too, but for very
different reasons.

No comments:
Post a Comment