April 22, 2013
Artists
Have I mentioned
how much I love to make art with toddlers? I’m sure it is what I was put on
this earth to do. That doesn’t sound
very ambitious does it? But it’s
true. It’s all I would ever need to do
in a day to feel totally fulfilled.
There is no ego in the artistic toddler, no need for reassurance. The toddler artist comes to the table open
and free of inhibition.
My favorite part
of watching tiny artists at work is their total abandon to the process. I have watched countless children immersed in
their painting, literally and figuratively.
There is that moment when the spark glitters in the eye of the artist
toddler and I can predict what’s coming. It’s the moment of pure and utter surrender to
the exploration, the asking of (and answering), “what if?”. I live to watch the look in their eye when
they take the paint from paper and paint themselves. It usually starts with the hands and the
paint travels up the arms. The most
adventurous toddler artist can be seen sneaking some into their mouth for a
taste. When they are done they usually
wipe their hands clean, in their hair.
The other piece I
love about making art with toddlers is how they find beauty and wonder in the
most simple of things. I remember
teaching once on the day unveiling of the new toddler playground was
revealed. A long time and a lot of work
and probably some dollars went into this new and improved playground.
The big day came,
the ribbon was cut, the tods were set to explore their new playground and they
were mesmerized. Except not by the fancy
new equipment, they were mesmerized by a drainage hole cut in the cement. The opening to the underground enigma was no
larger than a golf ball. “Where does it
go?” one of them asked. “What lives in
there?” another one wondered. A group of
7 one year olds, gathered around a little hole in the ground, heads pressed
together contemplating the mysteries of life.
So today is my
birthday, and Earth Day. I have spent
most of my day wishing I had a few more toddlers around the house to make some
fantastic eco-friendly crafts, to contemplate the mysteries of life. We should all approach the artist’s able more
like the toddler, bumbling and hopeful and free. How much better could this planet be if we
took time to wash our arms in rainbows of paint, or in mud?
No comments:
Post a Comment