November 30th, 2012
Hailey’s Hands
"I'm the little boy who goes drum drum drum. I'm the
little drumming boy drum drum drum" -Hailey, singing “The Little Drummer Boy"
presumably, while banging on a cookie tin.
Tonight as we lay
in bed holding hands, Christmas lights twinkling under the crack of the door, I
notice how small your hands feel. I hold them soft and tiny close and strong.
I've been holding them a number of years now. (Three and a half, to be exact.) I
also notice how capable they have become.
Today you turned
the crank and made your own foam farm animals. I always used to have to make
them for you. And we made play dough pizzas and you walked me through each
step, as you rolled balls, used rolling pins, cookie cutters, and straws.
Tonight we made a casserole. Nothing fancy, not even very good, but ours. You
toasted bread, crumpled it, tore it into tiny pieces and put seasonings on the
crumbs.
We traded off
between helping Gracie yelling on the floor. When things were hot or sharp or
needing to be orchestrated I did the kitchen work while you stroked your
sister's cheek and kept her happy. Then you fell right back into place,
standing tall on a chair to stir, mix, measure. I took care of sister then, a
diaper, a jiggle, a hug.
We read Christmas
books before bedtime next to the tree. Grace smacks and drools and tries to
bend the pages wet. I remember when your hands were quite the same, chubby and
full of spit. But now they are slender and cool and graceful, much like you my
dear. But you were almost asleep and my typing away has caused you to get rowdy
so now I will sleep hugging you tight. And you will sleep hugging me. I love
you, my sweet baby, and my big girl.

No comments:
Post a Comment