May 9th, 2013
Hailey's Party
I asked Hailey what she wanted for her birthday party this year and her answer totally surprised me. She said, “Mom I want herbs to grow like Ina does”. (As in Ina Garten the Barefoot Contessa show on the Food Network, Hailey’s cooking guru.) I love that idea! What a sweet fresh fragrant gift for a little girl. Of course we’ll get her fresh herbs and little pots and spades and soil for her birthday! It’s the gift that keeps on giving (provided she doesn’t have my green thumb).
Her birthday gift idea also inspired me to throw a “green” party for her. I started thinking about how much waste is generated from one child’s birthday party. Then I started multiplying that trash times kids on the planet and carried a few exponents --- and holy hell, that is like, A TON of trash! I factored in the economics with the opportunity to turn our recycling bin into a source of trashy party paraphernalia and I determined I had no choice. It is my duty to throw my children environmentally friendly parties.
She is totally on board and we started messing around with some practice run junk ideas. She thought big picture and wanted a piñata and party favors. My thinking was narrower and went straight to cupcake toppers and cloth napkins. Here are some pictures from our not-birthday green birthday party. It sounds like fun. Want to come?

cereal box pinata, coffee stirrer cupcake toppers, recycled crayon nubs turned into chubby crayons in muffin papers, and of course, a crown!
No comments:
Post a Comment